Sunday, May 10, 2009

Whole wheat Crepes with Cashew cream and macerated berries


Ahhh the thin pancake from France. I made it my signiture of Mothers day brunch today. Traditionally made using eggs and milk. Of course I made the whole wheat, with the recipe from Veganomicon.
WW crepes- makes 8
1.5 cups rice or soy milk- i used rice this time but soy last and soy was better
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup ww pastry flour
1/4 cup AP flour
1/4 cup chickpea flour
1 tbsp arrowroot flour
1/2 tsp salt
dash of agave
Combine all in food processor or blender. Pour into an airtight container and store overnight!! Best this way.
Stir when ready to use. Heat pan and spray with non stick spray. ladle 1/2 cup into center of pan and spread into a thin layer by rotating the pan. When ready top will be dry abd center bubling with browned edges. Flip and cook 2nd side about 30 sec. Fold and top!
I went for the sweet option this time.

Raw Cashew cream

1 cup cashew
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup agave
Blend in food processor until fluffy. It is specacular.

Macerated Berries Use acid, and alcohol!!
My great friend Linn is a baker and I was looking for inspiration on topping this was her suggestion.
Soak berries in lemon juice, sweetener (she suggested sugar- I used agave), and Gran Marnier.

My mom is a chocolate fiend so i had to add this to the crepes.

They were a big hit at brunch. This is the only crepe recipe I have tried and it hasn't failed me. Maybe next time i will venture to another one. As for the berries and the cashew cream they were fantastic toppings. I will be using the cashew cream for a long time......

No comments: