Saturday, January 3, 2009

One of my favorite foods- BANANAS


I subscribe to many blogs and mailing especially about healthy foods- The worlds healthiest foods sends me info and or recipes everyday. Check it out at. I learned about bananas today. SOmeone asked a question about if you should refridgerate them or not. I dont fridge mine. They get all brown and if not ripe stop them from ripening. I like mine mid ripe but if they get too ripe I peel and freeze them to make banana "ice cream"- reipe to follow.
Bananas are best for their potassium 467mg to 1 mg sodium..which may prevent against high BP and athlerosclerosis documented in many studies.They are also high in vitamin B6 and a good source of vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, and manganese.

Other disease prevention includes- prevention against stomach ulcers with antacid effects (i def suffer from this daily). Improve elimination (pooping), protect eyesight, improve bones by absorbing calcium, promote kidney health from its antioxidant phenolic compounds.
Banana tips: If you need to hasten the ripening process, you can place bananas in a paper bag or wrap them in newspaper, adding an apple to accelerate the process.
For the most antioxidants, eat fully ripened fruit A key to this process is actually the color change and how the chlorophyll is used.

Besides raw my favorite way to consume bananas is frozen and pureed to make banana ice cream. With a overripe banana peel and freeze. Simply place frozen banana in food processor until thick and creamy and enjoy=Banana ice cream


Due to the pectin in the banana they are also great for baking vegan cakes and desserts in replacement of EGGS. Try banana bread- One good recipe from Veganomicon is the lower fat banana bread which I make as muffins becuase I am impatient.


If you love bananas like me check out mine and Jill's fav from trader Joes-NOTHING BUT BANANA FLATTENED

No comments: